Every week, the Louisville Women Sports Network highlights a local athlete by asking her 20 profile questions. This week’s athlete is Rachel Gibson. She just wrapped up her sophomore year as an athlete for Oldham County High’s track and field and cross country teams. If there is an athlete you’d like to read about, email suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
My nickname is “Mildred”. I’m pretty clumsy and when my mother realized that, she started calling me Mildred whenever I would trip or fall.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it?
I wear lots of numbers in races, but my favorite number is 2 because I was born on 2/2/2000.
3) What is your favorite subject in school?
My favorite subject in school is language arts because I enjoy reading and creative writing. I convinced my grandpa to stop smoking through a persuasive letter.
4) What are your academic goals?
My academic goal is to have above a 4.0 GPA when I graduate high school.
5) What are your athletic goals?
My athletic goals are always to get my PR by the end of each season in the events that I run. My goal is to improve my times each year without burning myself out.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment?
My favorite athletic moments was in fourth grade when I ran cross county for Locust Grove Elementary. I won a race and everyone was shocked. I also surprised myself by winning the race a minute ahead of everyone else.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
My ideal snack before a race is Welch’s Fruit Snacks and an apple.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant?
My favorite restaurant in Louisville is Pesto’s Persian and Italian Cuisine.
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why?
The athlete that I look up to is Allyson Felix. I heard Allyson speak at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) dinner and was so inspired by her positive attitude. Not only is she an amazing athlete, but also an amazing person.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life?
Sports have taught me discipline and teamwork, and have helped me set goals and focus on an end result.
11) What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is “Percy Jackson & the Olympians”, and it drives my family crazy because I want to watch it all of the time, especially on family road trips.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you?
If they were to make a movie about my life, I would want Jennifer Lawrence to play me.
13) What is your favorite TV show?
My favorite TV show is either “Friends” or “Modern Family”.
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game?
The song I listen to before a race is “Oceans” by Hillsong United.
15) What is your favorite book?
My favorite book is “The 5th Wave” by Rick Yancey.
16) What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is Caribbean ocean blue/green.
If I were on a desert island, I would have to have ChapStick as my only possession.
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women?
I think the best female role model for teenage girls is Sadie Robertson.
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
I would ask Mother Teresa how to love the unlovable.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you?
My mom told me to not get offended or upset when people say mean things or are rude to me because their behavior is a reflection of them and not me.