Every week, the Louisville Women Sports Network highlights a local athlete by asking her 20 profile questions. This week’s athlete is Shawnneia Cannon. She is a rising senior sprinter on North Bullitt’s track and field team. If there is an athlete you’d like to read about, email suggestions to email@example.com.
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it?
My nickname is “Shae” and it comes from my middle name La’Shae.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it?
My favorite number is 2 because it’s the number that I had when I played basketball in elementary and also because my birthday is on the 22nd of July.
3) What is your favorite subject in school?
My favorite subject in school is math.
4) What are your academic goals?
My academic goals are to maintain a 3.8 throughout the rest of high school and receive an academic scholarship.
5) What are your athletic goals?
My athletic goal is to receive a track scholarship. Also, I want run low 12’s in the 100m, 24’s in the 200m and a high 58 in the 400m by the end of my senior year.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment?
My favorite athletic moment was my sophomore year when I placed 7th in the state for the 100m dash and set a new personal record for myself. I was very proud of myself because this showed me that hard work pays off and anything is possible.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
My ideal meal/snack before a meet is breakfast. I usually eat oatmeal, eggs with spinach and a variety of fruits.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant?
My favorite restaurant is Olive Garden.
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why?
The athlete that I most look up to would have to be Allyson Felix because I love the way she is dedicated and compassionate about what she does. Even when she is beat, she comes back harder. I admire the way she is motivated and a hard worker. She inspires me to continue to work hard for what I want. Many people want the appearance of wining rather than the practice and hard work that create a true champion.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life?
Track has inspired me to better myself. It gives me the motivation to be great and strive to be successful. I want to be able to give back to my parents and take care of them when they get older.
11) What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is “White Chicks”.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you?
If they made a movie about my life, Keke Palmer would play me.
13) What is your favorite TV show?
My favorite TV show is “Grey’s Anatomy”.
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game?
I listen to “Stick Talk” by Future.
15) What is your favorite book?
My favorite book is “Fault in Our Stars” by John Green.
16) What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is pink.
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be?
If I was on a desert island and could have one possession, it would have to be my mom.
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women?
I consider Michelle Obama to be today’s best female role model for young women.
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
I would choose my mom. I would ask her, “How have you been able to remain such a strong and fearless woman after all you have endured in life?”
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you?
The best advice I have ever received was from my dad. He told me, “You always have to be in the process of improving your game”.