Every week, the Louisville Women Sports Network highlights a local athlete by asking her 20 profile questions. This week’s athlete is Jolene Ballard. She is a rising sophomore at duPont Manual who plays outside midfielder for the Kentucky Fire Juniors club soccer team. She also plays for Manual’s basketball team. If there is an athlete you’d like to read about, email suggestions to email@example.com.
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it?
“Jo” or “JoJo” – from my family.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it?
I’ve played with a lot of different numbers but, in soccer, I like to stick with number 16 which is the day that I was born.
3) What is your favorite subject in school?
4) What are your academic goals?
When I am older, I hope to be a pediatrician or an orthopedic doctor. For now, I want to complete each school year and/or grade level with at least a 4.0 GPA.
5) What are your athletic goals?
I want to play Division I soccer in college.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment?
Winning State Cup for the first time in 2016.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
Grilled chicken and fresh fruit
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant?
Tyler Ulis. Despite his height and basketball’s typical discrimination of height, he shows so much heart and determination to be the best that he can possibly be. He is a great player, teammate, and leader on and off the court and is a role model to all young athletes.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life?
Sports have always been a stress reliever for me, a place where I can forget about everything and have fun but at the same time be competitive and motivational and make me want to work harder to be the best person, player, and teammate I can be on and off the field/court.
11) What is your favorite movie?
“The Best of Me”
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you?
Sandra Miju Oh (Christina Yang from Grey’s Anatomy)
13) What is your favorite TV show?
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game?
“We Ready” – Archie Eversole ft. Bubba Sparxxx
15) What is your favorite book?
“The Notebook” by Nicholas Sparks
16) What is your favorite color?
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be?
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women?
Michelle Obama because she has a motivational impact on young women to do the right things, eat the right way, and put themselves in the best position to succeed and be the best person they can.
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
I would ask God why He lets bad things happen to good people.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you?
“Failure is like manure: it stinks, but it helps you grow” – Pastor William Blackford