Every week, the Louisville Women Sports Network highlights a local athlete by asking her 20 profile questions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have suggestions for an athlete.
Name: Thelise Slemmons
School and/or Team: Butler High School
Current Sport: Field Hockey
Position: Center mid
Class Year: 2017
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it? My nickname is LeLe, which was given to me by my cousin.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it? My number is 28 and it was chosen because that was the day my sister was to be born.
3) What is your favorite subject in school? I would say that my favorite subject would be math.
4) What are your academic goals? My academic goal is to graduate earning a 3.8 GPA.
5) What are your athletic goals? My athletic goal is to continue playing field hockey in college.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment? My favorite athletic moment would be during my freshman year and we won our first game against Seneca High School.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game? My ideal snack before a game would be grapes. I prefer the green ones, some might call them white, but I never really got the whole color thing.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant? My favorite Louisville restaurant would be Red Lobster.
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why? The athlete I look up to would be Skylar Diggins because of her passion for the sport she plays. I want to have the same passion she has, and the way she carries herself is inspiring.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life? Sports have impacted my life by helping me build upon my leadership skills. It has taught me determination, hard work and motivation.
11) What is your favorite movie? My favorite movie would have to be Red.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you? If they were to make a movie about my life, the actress of my choice would be Jennifer Hudson. I choose her because she is beautiful, talented, inspirational, dedicated to what she loves and has shown that she never gives up.
13) What is your favorite TV show? My favorite TV show is Hawaii Five-0.
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game? The song that helps me prepare before my games would be, “I know I can make it” by E-40.
15) What is your favorite book? My favorite book would be “Lovely Vicious” by Sarah Wolf.
16) What is your favorite color? My favorite color is turquoise.
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be? If I was on a deserted island and could have one possession it would have to be a tent for shelter.
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women? For me, today’s best female role model would be Jennifer Lawrence because she shows strength, independence and strong will.
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask? If I could pick one person and ask them one question, it would be Isaac Newton. I’d ask him what other things he would be willing to discover about advancing humanity.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you? The best advice I ever received was “believe in yourself, and when you do others will too” – My Great Grandmother.