Every other week, the Louisville Women Sports Network highlights a local athlete by asking her 20 lighthearted questions. Email email@example.com if you want to nominate an athlete.
Name: Maelyn Dee Ridener
School: Fern Creek High School
Current Sport: Basketball
Position: Shooting Guard
Class Year: Freshman
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it? People always misunderstand me when I tell them my name so it’s just easier to say Mae and it’s a lot easier to say quickly in a game.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it? My number is five, I chose this number because it’s my brother Isaac’s favorite number and if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be playing this sport I love.
3) What is your favorite subject in school? My favorite subject is English.
4) What are your academic goals? My academic goals are to stay getting A’s and B’s and at least a 3.8 GPA or higher.
5) What are your athletic goals? My athletic goals are to play college ball and to get a full ride so when I get out of college I won’t be in debt.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment? My favorite athletic moment was during a JV game vs. Jeffersontown . This post player was on a fast break, I ran in front of her, and took a charge. She was like two-times bigger because I’m not that big, so it hurt when I took it, but it was worth it because I got the call.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game? My ideal meal/snack before a game would be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I can’t eat big before a game because it will upset my stomach during the game.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant? My favorite Louisville restaurant is Skyline Chili.
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why? I look up to Asia Taylor, she has worked me out a few times and it really helped me know what I need to do to make it to the next level. After my workouts she would pray for me and that really helped me realize without God I wouldn’t even be here, and I wouldn’t be able to be given the ability to play basketball.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life? Without sports I wouldn’t know what to do with my life because it takes so much time out of my day I would be bored out of my mind. I love basketball because it helps me get stronger as a 14 year old girl and is helping me develop into a young woman.
I also love giving it my all and winning. Even the losses help and I learn from my mistakes and do better the next time. I know my teammates got my back and try to bring me back to get in the game.
11) What is your favorite movie? My favorite movie is Pitch Perfect.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you? Dove Cameron, because she shows her athletic part in Liv and Maddie, but also her girly side.
13) What is your favorite TV show? Pretty little liars is my favorite TV show.
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game? Unbreakable by Faydee FT Miracle
15) What is your favorite book? The Bible
16) What is your favorite color? Blue is my favorite color.
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be? My cellphone so I can call someone to get me and watch Netflix in the meantime.
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women? Breanna Stewart
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask? My Dad’s grandpa, my grandpa always said he wished my brother and I could meet his Dad and that he would be proud of us. I would like to ask him if he is proud of me.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you? The best advice I ever received would be from my dad, it was game day, he told me to play loose and relax. He always pushes me to be better and tells me what to do to get better and sometimes before games I get tensed up and forget to play my game so it’s good to see that on my phone every game now.