Every week, the Louisville Women’s Sports Network highlights a high school athlete in our lighthearted 20 Questions feature. Email athlete suggestions to email@example.com.
Name: Ronne’zja Elliott
School: Waggener High School
Current Sport: Basketball
Class Year: Junior
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it?
My nickname is Ne’zja, short for Ronne’zja . I got this nickname because it’s difficult for people to pronounce my full name.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it?
My jersey number is 23. I’ve been 23 since I was in the fifth grade, I told myself I always wanted to play like Michael Jordan and become a legend. It was also the first number that was assigned to me so I wanted to keep it.
3) What is your favorite subject in school?
My favorite subject in school is AP English.
4) What are your academic goals?
My academic goals are to stay on the honor roll throughout the whole school year and to major in sports medicine.
5) What are your athletic goals?
My athletic goals are to better myself as a point guard & to join the 1,000 point club by the end of my senior year.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment?
My favorite athletic moment is when we were short 3 players against valley, I knew that meant the whole team had to step up. As captain, I took control and scored a career high 42 points and got my teammates involved and we won the game.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
My ideal meal before a game is Chicken Alfredo.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant?
My favorite Louisville restaurant is “The Sea Food Lady.”
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why?
The athlete I look up to most is Maya Moore, she’s an all around player and knows how to make plays away from the ball. Maya doesn’t get down when things aren’t going her way & corrects her mistakes during the game.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life?
I was first introduced to the game of basketball in the 4th grade. I went from being a cheerleader to a ball player but I knew as soon as I picked the ball up, this is what I wanted to do. I also run track and I’ve set many goals for myself in these two sports . Both basketabll and track make me push myself and work hard to become the amazing, skilled athlete I know I am capable of being.
11) What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is love and basketball.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you?
If a movie were to be made about my life, Sanaa Lathan would play my role.
13) What is your favorite TV show?
My favorite TV show is forensic files.
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game?
I listen to any song by Lil Uzi Vert or Kodak while getting ready for a game.
15) What is your favorite book?
My favorite book is Tears Of a Tiger.
16) What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is blue.
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be?
If I were on a desert island and could only have one possesion, it would be a book.
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women?
The best female role model for young women is Gabby Douglas.
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
If I could chose one person to ask a question, it would be Maya Moore. I’d ask her if she went through anything growing up that pushed her to become the great player that she is today.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you?
The best advice I have ever received was to chase my dreams despite the obstacles that may come with it, just know that’s you’re one step closer to being successful. My mom has been giving me plenty of advice since I was younger but this one in particular stuck out. I’ve learned to overcome anything that stands in the way of being the successful, athletic, young adult both my mom & I believe I can be.