Every week, the Louisville Women’s Sports Network highlights a high school athlete in our lighthearted 20 Questions feature. Email athlete suggestions to email@example.com.
Name: Jamari Tillman
School: Doss High School
Current Sport: Basketball
Position: Shooting Guard
Class Year: Senior
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it? My nickname is Tilly which is short for my last name Tillman.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it? My number is 11. I want to be number one so much I’m number one twice plus I like Klay Thompson. If 30 was available I would have choose that since Stephen Curry is my favorite player.
3) What is your favorite subject in school? Math because I enjoy problem solving and finding solutions.
4) What are your academic goals? To continue to grow as a student-athlete and chase my dreams of being in the information technology or medical field one day.
5) What are your athletic goals? To play professional basketball and see the world while doing it.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment? I have a lot to choose from. Here is a short list. Winning back to back championships with my friends at Johnson middle school, winning numerous tournaments and championships over the summers with Louisville Team Shively, being named one of the top scorers in the state, and when Louisville won the NCAA championship in 2013
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game? Nothing specific but something light on my stomach like subway or fruit.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant? Qdoba
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why? I have two that I look up to which are Maya Moore and Stephen Curry. Before almost every game I watch highlights of Steph or Maya just so I can get the feel of the game and I may even steal a move or two.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life? Basketball has impacted my life because it allows me to always have something to do, keeps my body in shape, and pushes me to do well in the classroom.
11) What is your favorite movie? My favorite movie is Coach Carter because I really like the message that was delivered. This was a movie that inspired me to play basketball and to go hard as I can at all times.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you? Sanaa Lathan. Mainly because of the role she played in “Love and Basketball.”
13) What is your favorite TV show? I normally don’t watch TV that much but if I do it’s march madness or other sporting events..”
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game? There is not a specific song that I listen to but YFN Lucci and Drake are artists who get me in my zone and ready to go out there and play this game I love on the hardwood.
15) What is your favorite book? “A Child Who Called It.”
16) What is your favorite color? Red because it’s the color of the Tillman blood running through my veins.
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be? One possession. Hmm? I would have to say a fully charged cellphone lol.
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women? The role model for my generation is Michelle Obama. She seems like such a great person plus she carries herself with so much class. Someone else for me personally would be my friend/sister Jaelynn Penn and all of my LTS sisters that I grew up playing ball with here in Louisville. Love you all!
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask? I would ask my Grandaddy and my Uncle if I am making them proud.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you? My Dad says to always put God first and that challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.