Every week, the Louisville Women’s Sports Network highlights a high school athlete in our lighthearted 20 Questions feature. Email athlete suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full Name: Claire Yates
- Team: Kentucky Gymnastics Academy
- Current Sport: Gymnastics
- Position: Level 8
1) What is your nickname and how did you get it? Chichi – because I am crazy and bouncy like a Chihuahua.
2) What is your number and why did you choose it? N/A.
3) What is your favorite subject in school? Art because of the cool and sometimes weird projects we do.
4) What are your academic goals? To obtain a degree in health and fitness.
5) What are your athletic goals? To become a collegiate gymnast.
6) What is your favorite athletic moment? Overcoming the fear of performing a Tsukahara.
7) What is your ideal meal/snack before a game? Having a breakfast with protein and milk.
8) What is your favorite Louisville restaurant? Outback
9) What athlete do you most look up to? Why? Laurie Hernandez, because of her tenacity, she is known as the “human emoji” and being able to have “a life” outside of her life of gymnastics.
10) How have sports impacted and/or inspired your life? I cannot remember a time that gymnastics was not a part of my life. People know me as, “Claire, the gymnast.” I have learned that in gymnastics, as with most sports, you have to be trained mentally and physically for the sport. I have also learned the valuable skill of time management.
11) What is your favorite movie? The Divergent Series because it is so suspenseful.
12) If they made a movie about your life, what actor would play you? Jennifer Lawrence because of her ability to show her adventurous side.
13) What is your favorite TV show? America’s Got Talent because of all of the unusual talents.
14) What song do you listen to when getting ready for a game? “Hall of Fame” — an uplifting song that is powerful and motivational.
15) What is your favorite book? Although I’m not a book-worm, I like the book, The Maze Run, because it is very descriptive about the characters and their surroundings.
16) What is your favorite color? Lavender
17) If you were on a desert island and could have one possession, what would it be? My family, I wouldn’t want to live without them!
18) Who do you consider to be today’s best female role model for young women? Zendaya— because she is very real, active, and has a big heart.
19) If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask? N/A.
20) What is the best advice you have ever received and who gave it to you? “To have a good friend, you must be a good friend,” was advice given to me by my mother.