The subject of this week’s Coach’s Corner feature is Adrian Stroud who is the head coach of the Pleasure Ridge Park cheerleading team.
1) What is your history with athletics in your personal life? Athletics has always been a part of my life from swimming for school and club to competitive cheer and dance. My parents wanted to keep me busy and in shape.
2) How did you obtain your current coaching position? My friend Jermain Edwards found a new job so the position opened up, I reached out to Heather Haley who I cheered with in high school on Gymtyme Allstars – who works at Pleasure Ridge Park High School and the rest is History!
3) Who do you look up to? Leroy McCullough – “Team USA U” Coach and Emmitt Tyler – “Former owner of JamBrands.” One worked with me as an all-star cheerleader and one worked with me as a high school cheerleader. They are both very positive examples of what to be in the sport that I love so much!
4) What are two primary goals you have/had for your team this season? My first goal taking over the PRP Cheer program was to rebuild it back to being strong like in years past. My second goal was to boost school spirit.. at this point the icing on the cake would be to bring a state title back…
5) What is the hardest part of coaching for you? The hardest thing for me as a coach is to remember that it’s not all about the win but more about the experience that the athletes will have to take with them. I’m very competitive so sometimes competition can sidetracked any coach from the big picture but having a great sponsor like Jennifer Danzinger – keeps me balanced.
6) What qualities do you hope to instill in your players that they can take with them to their families, careers, and society? Giving up is never an option. To be great at whatever they truly want. Treat everyone how you wish to be treated!
7) How do you motivate your best athletes to work even harder? Making it a fun learning environment, while pushing them in a positive direction to be the best they can be.
8) What’s your favorite memory as a coach? As a coach my best memories are always when athletes get new skills or make their college teams.
9) What does coaching bring to you or your family? Coaching a sport keeps me active, allows me to give back to the youth of our community. Who doesn’t love a good football game or basketball game? 😉
10) What is the greatest philosophy you live by? Do it until you can’t get it wrong! Teamwork makes the dream work!!