The high school basketball season in Kentucky starts a week from today. Editor Conor Revell gives his picks for the top five teams and top 10 players in the Sixth Region. The Seventh Region preview will run Tuesday.
Top five teams
- Mercy: The Jaguars have four of its five starters back in Danielle Feldkamp, Raquel Reese, Regan Berger, and Hope Sivori. Feldkamp is the top center in the region and her size is unmatched in the region. Mix that in with a talented group of sophomores, the Jaguars could win their first regional title in three years.
- Butler: The Bearettes are the defending Sixth Region champion but lost their core (four D-I players) that was the top ranked team in the state for most of last year before being stunned in the state quarterfinals. Senior center Molly Lockhard is the only player back from the starting lineup. However, a talented group of freshmen and sophomores expected to contribute and will give Mercy a run for their money.
- Bullitt East: First off, the Lady Chargers lost Lindsay Duvall, last year’s Miss Kentucky Basketball, that’s a huge loss. Kirstie Henn, their second leading scorer is gone. However, Emma Ralph, Kathleen Scott, and Alexis Taylor are back. Don’t count out Chris Stallings and his squad.
- North Bullitt: The Lady Eagles have the talented Hailey Free, who averaged the second point last year, is back for her senior season, but losing Lauren Deel down low hurts. However, last year’s fourth leading scorer Caroline Janes, fifth leading scorer Sarah Janes, and sixth leading scorer Alexis Mouser are back.
- Fern Creek: The Tigers return three of their top four scorers including Alexis Smith. Along with Mercy, Fern Creek will be one of the most experienced teams in the region as Maelyn Ridener and Tiana Austin will help out Smith.
Top 10 returning players to watch (listed in alphabetical order)
- Regan Berger (Mercy) – Averaged 10.4 points per game as a sophomore.
- Sage Blue (Moore) – Averaged 13.7 points and 10 rebounds per game as a junior.
- Danielle Feldkamp (Mercy) – Averaged 10.5 points and 7.9 rebounds per game as a junior.
- Hailey Free (North Bullitt) – Averaged 13.4 points per game as a junior.
- Taziah Jenks (Mercy) – Sophomore with multiple D-I offers and ready for a breakout year.
- Molly Lockhart (Butler) – Averaged 11.2 points and 6 rebounds per game as a junior.
- Kathleen Scott (Bullitt East) – Averaged 6.5 points as a junior.
- Alexis Smith (Fern Creek) – Averaged 18.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game as a freshman.
- Halle Snyder (Holy Cross) – Averaged 15.2 points and 5,8 rebounds per game as a junior.
- Jamari Tillman (Doss) – Averaged 21.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game as a junior.