The fall sports season is quickly approaching and the Louisville Women’s Sports Network is taking a look at the best rivalries. Today, we take a glance at the biggest soccer rivalries.
- Assumption vs. Sacred Heart (Cleat Game) – It’s all about the Cleat Game for these two dynasties. These two rivals honor the great Jenna Cooper who was murdered in Nebraska, where she attended college, she was a former Sacred Heart player while her mom attended Assumption. It’s a big deal. These two had also met in the regional tournament every year since 1999 until last year when Manual knocked out Assumption in the semifinals.
- Male vs. Assumption – These two 26th District rivals have battled it over the past few years. While the Rockets have won 21 of their last 22 meetings with their rivals, four of the last seven have gone into overtime or penalty kicks.
- Manual vs. Assumption – This is one of the wildest fall rivalries. Every year these two teams seem to meet in the Seventh Region semifinals and every year, it seems that the tournament game goes into overtime or penalty kicks as it has the past three years.
- Male vs. Manual – Anytime these two schools meet, the fans come out in droves as the Bulldogs and Crimsons don’t like each other. Sure, these two schools are the best of the rest when it comes to soccer behind Assumption and Sacred Heart, but if one of those two Catholic schools weren’t to win the region, it’d most likely be one of these two squads.
- Bullitt East vs. Mercy – These two are district rivals and often their games to overtime or PKs. Bullitt East has made the Sixth Region title game six years in a row and has lost every time, five of those times to Mercy. The Jaguars had beaten Bullitt East five times in a row in the district final until when the Lady Chargers pulled off the shocker.