Guest blogger Michael G. Moore writes his preview about this upcoming middle school basketball season.
Competition this year for the JR. L.I.T. City Championship will have a few new faces & also returns familiar ones. Fans of middle school girls’ basketball should come watch some great matchups this season. This year many will see some of the top individual talents that will be heard about on the high school level over the next few years.
There are two main contenders this year who should separate themselves from the others. Going into the season, many will agree that Ramsey & Johnson are the favorites.
The middle school season tips off on Thursday, November 1st. And what a way to start the season as this years schedule gives everyone a chance to see the two favorites battle in Week 1; Johnson @ Ramsey @ 4:30pm!
Here is a look at some of the top players for the two favorites this season:
- Jakayla Thompson-8th grader, a lefty combo guard with length and has good range on her jump shot. Excels in the open court and with great instinct to jump passing lanes on defense.
- Triniti Ralston-8th grader, a lighting quick scoring guard whose first step and speed is explosive. Has a nice 3 point shot and pull up jumper. Is the best on ball defender in middle school with her incredible lateral foot speed.
- Sydney Tolbert- 8th grader, true point guard, who plays with toughness, showcases impressive ball handling and is a scorer at all 3 levels.
- Sasha Thomas- 8th grader, a physical wing who plays with passion/intensity and can dominate on the inside, scores in multiple ways including a nice three-point shot.
- Madison Brittle- 8th grader, a combo guard with incredible athletic ability, a great defender, and has a nice 3 point shot.
Let’s take a look at some other talented players who will lead their school teams this season:
- MaKiya Humphrey-7th grader , an athletic forward who plays with 110% and stays active. Uses her athleticism very well and can fill the stat sheet.
- Alexia Weaver-8th grader, a point guard who displays leadership on their court and has shown can score in multiple ways.
- Ma’kiya West-8th grader, a guard/forward who can play multiple positions bc of her jump shooting ability and size.
- A’Niya Haskins-7th grader, a combo guard who plays with toughness, has great court awareness and can score in multiple ways.
- Ja’La Douglas-8th grader, one of the most athletic forwards in JCPS in awhile. Has a great motor and jumping ability around the rim. One of those few players you can sit and watch and just pops out and fun to watch. As she continues to develop, her potential is incredible.
- Emaree Gober-7th grader, A crafty point guard with nice ball handling and excels in the open court and in transition.
- Caelan Harbison- 8th grader, a combo guard and was picked to be a captain. Has a nice jumper and displays on court vocal leadership.
- Sarah Grace Morley- 6th grader, she is new to middle school scene and will make some noise this year.
- JaKyrra Bartlett- 8th grader, a lefty as a point guard who has nice speed and attacks the lane strong off dribble. She showcases great defensive pressure and was also named a captain.
- Chelsea Brewer-8th grader, a stretch forward with length. She can dominate a game without scoring with her shot blocking ability and rebounding. Can step out and shoot 3’s/jumpers and score in the paint.
- Nuri Shahid-Stevenson-8th grader, an athletic forward who will be a force defensively with her athletic ability and length.
- Tamiah Wadlington- 6th grader, a combo guard with great length. Will make noise this year in her middle school debut.
- Neeyah Shahid-Stevenson-8th grader, has aggressive mentality to be physical on the inside and quick enough to create on the perimeter.
- Diamond Roach-7th grader, Point guard who plays with pace. She knows when to push tempo or slow it up. Shoots the mid-range pull up jumper & 3 point ball well.
- Maliah Patrick-7th grader, quick point guard who sets up teammates with her passing ability and can score in multiple ways.
- Morrai Blount-6th grader, a very athletic wing who should flourish and make some noise on the middle scene this year.
- Serenity Cleaves- 7th grader, plays with energy and very active on both ends of the floor. Is the emotional leader for the team.
- Emory Donaldson-8th grader, a forward who can score on the inside in multiple ways and is a nice defender.
- Shanese Carr-8th grader, a forward who will make her presence known on the inside. Strong rebounder and plays well around the rim. Will be their vocal leader.
- Kylie Floyd-8th grader-A lefty who plays inside and out as a guard/forward who has ability to post & score but also shoot jumpers or drive off the dribble. Will be the vocal leader as she leads her team.
- Breanna Jones-8th grader, a stretch forward wing who has nice shooting ability for her size and also can be physical and take advantage on opponents inside the paint.
- Sarah Argabright- 8th grader, a combo guard who is a hard nosed defender and plays with great effort and a scorer.
- Sophie Arnold-8th grader, a post player who plays with a physical mindset and shows leadership.
- Olivia Cobb-8th grader, a guard who is one of the primary options on offense and helps lead the team.
- Addison Gardner-6th grader, a guard/forward who should make noise this year in her middle school debut.
- Trinity Armour-7th grader, a post player, who excels around the rim and active on both ends of the court.