On a weekly basis, Louisville Women Sports post the KIVA “12 Questions” feature that highlights a volleyball student-athlete in the community. If there is a specific athlete that you’d like to know more about, email future suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
For 25 years KIVA has been home to volleyball players in the Louisville community. From club level training to Volleytots, we offer programs for all ages and levels. KIVA invites you to visit them at www.kivasports.net! Where champions come to train.
Name: Terri Purichia
Team that you Coach: Providence High School and UNION Volleyball Club
- What got you started coaching volleyball? I played at Providence when I was in high school and then went to XAVIER on a scholarship. I loved the game and stayed as an undergraduate assistant at XAVIER my 5th year to finish up my elementary/special education degree. I loved that experience and decided I would like to continue coaching when I became a teacher. I got my first coaching job as Varsity assistant at Noblesville, and when I moved back to New Albany, I took the head coaching job at Providence…that was 21 years ago…so I guess I sort of liked it a little bit!
- What’s your favorite aspect of the game? I absolutely LOVE working with the players and developing relationships with each of them. I enjoying watching them each grow and develop each year into better volleyball players and better people. It is so rewarding having such a close relationship with my players.
- What is your favorite meal? I love Italian food! But my favorite meal is anything that I don’t have to cook…hahaha
- Who is your favorite player? Why? My favorite players currently are my three daughters: Maggie (17), Anna (16), and Grace (13). It has been a blast watching them LOVE the game of volleyball like I do.
- What was the best coaching tip or advice you received or gave to/ from a player? I have gotten so much great advice over the years, but I think my all-time favorite piece of advice is “They don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care”. That is something I truly believe and try to really work towards each season with my teams.
- The most fun drill for you at practice is…? Why? My favorite drill to do at practice is called Bounce. I love it because the kids love it and it always brings great energy. We play it a lot to get the intensity up and increase their communication!
- If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be? I would love to go to Hawaii sometime!
- Do you prefer coaching offense or defense? Why? I LOVE LOVE LOVE coaching defense! I think it is the most important yet, the most underappreciated skill of the game. A good defensive team can win a LOT of ball games!!!
- If you could have a training session with one player or coach, who would it be and why? I would love to spend a weekend following and listening to Karch Kiraly. He is such a master of the game, and I love his coaching philosophy. He is one of my favorite speakers to listen to!! He is amazing! I love watching him coach as well because he is so calm, and he NEVER stops teaching!
- I love volleyball because…? I love the sport of volleyball because it is such an exciting game! It has grown in so many ways over the years, and I continue to enjoy learning! I have stayed committed to volleyball all these years because of the community of people I get to be around. I LOVE may players, the parents, and the fellow coaches that I work with. It is truly family to me!
- If you could be an animal what would it be and why? If I could be any animal I would be an octopus…I need more hands sometimes!
- What is your favorite experience/ moment coaching volleyball? I love coaching, so trying to pinpoint favorite memories is so hard. I have been a part of three state championship teams at Providence so obviously, those were great memories. At Providence, we have had a couple of very successful years, and have had to move up to class 4A. The post season matches we have played in 4A have been some of the most exciting in my coaching career. I love seeing the players excel at such a high level! To me, that is why I coach!!