On a weekly basis, Louisville Women Sports post the KIVA “12 Questions” feature that highlights a volleyball student-athlete in the community. If there is a specific athlete that you’d like to know more about, email future suggestions to email@example.com
For 25 years KIVA has been home to volleyball players in the Louisville community. From club level training to Volleytots, we offer programs for all ages and levels. KIVA invites you to visit them at www.kivasports.net! Where champions come to train.
Name: Sara Tino
Current School: Holy Cross High School
Club Team: KIVA 18 White
1. What got you started playing volleyball? I started playing volleyball in 1st grade after I saw my friends play, it made me want to.
2. What’s your favorite aspect of the game? My favorite aspect of the game is how competitive one can be on the court, and then as soon as you’re off the court you can still be friends with the opponents on the other side. It doesn’t matter if I’m playing against my best friend, we are both competitive and once we step off the court we have the same friendship no matter the outcome of the game.
3. What is your favorite meal? I don’t have a specific favorite meal, but my favorite style of food is pasta.
4. Who is your favorite player? Why? I don’t really have a favorite player that I admire or anything. I like playing volleyball, but I don’t have a lot of time outside of practice, school and work to watch other teams play. Although if I had to choose, I would say my little sister. She always goes for the ball no matter what, plays any position as do I, but she can also set and that’s what makes her, her. She is also aggressive, and as soon as you talk to her, you’ll figure that out.
5. What was the best coaching tip or advice you received to improve your game? The best advice I’ve ever received is, “stop thinking, and just go.”
6. The most fun drill for you at practice is…? Why? The most fun drill at practice is probably hitters vs. passers because it is competitive and challenging.
7. If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be? I would visit Bora Bora.
8. Do you prefer playing offense or defense? Why? I do not have a preference, although I have had more training playing offense, so I would feel more comfortable playing offense.
9. If you could have a training session with one player or coach, who would it be and why? I would train with Melissa Starck-Bean, because like any coach she is competitive and wants to win, but if you’re not winning, and if your technique is improving and you’re doing the right thing then it’s okay.
10. I love volleyball because…? I love volleyball because it has given me the friends I have today and I could never ask for any better friends.
11. If you could be an animal what would it be and why? If I could be an animal I would want to be a bird, so I could travel as I please, and fly from place to place.
12. What is your favorite experience/ moment playing volleyball? My favorite time playing volleyball was last club season playing a team that shouldn’t have been in our division and my team balled out, truly played the best volleyball we could, we all played supportively, and we knew we had each other’s backs, and we were the only team to take a set from that other team.