On a weekly basis, Louisville Women Sports post the KIVA “12 Questions” feature that highlights a volleyball student-athlete in the community. If there is a specific athlete that you’d like to know more about, email future suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
For 25 years KIVA has been home to volleyball players in the Louisville community. From club level training to Volleytots, we offer programs for all ages and levels. KIVA invites you to visit them at www.kivasports.net! Where champions come to train.
Name: Heather Houston
Team that you Coach: Kiva 15 White (also Mercy Academy JV team and St.Edward)
1.What got you started coaching volleyball? My high school volleyball coach Tim Fagan, asked me to help him out at Butler High School and for the love of the sport.
2. What’s your favorite aspect of the game? The team concept, all the parts of the team coming together for one common goal or accomplishment.
3. What is your favorite meal? Starbucks before club matches and chick-fila after
4. Who is your favorite player? Why? I don’t have a favorite player because it’s about the team. I am not a big fan of individual awards and performances. I do however love when individuals have a breakout performance as I am so proud and happy for them.
5. What was the best coaching tip or advice you received or gave to/ from a player? Don’t let one big match loss (or season ending loss) define your season or your progression as a player/coach.
6. The most fun drill for you at practice is…? Why? I love “pit drills” when players have to give an all-out hustle and effort. They sometimes make plays and get touches they never think imaginable.
7. If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be? Hawaii
8. Do you prefer coaching offense or defense? Why? I usually coach the offensive side and my assistant, Paige Stewart coach’s defense as our specialty positions.
9. If you could have a training session with one player or coach, who would it be and why? I just love to sit and talk volleyball and players with anyone who will listen and talk with me.
10. I love volleyball because…? The sport is ever changing and I love to see how each player contributes to the team. The constant physical and mental aspects are pretty fascinating.
11. If you could be an animal what would it be and why? I would be a dog, they have the ultimate loyalty and some are treated better than humans:)
12. What is your favorite experience/ moment coaching volleyball? I have several but I would say the ones that I can share with teams that are special memories and the experience that they get to be a part of such as having 2 undefeated seasons in the past 3 years at Mercy Academy JV with so much talent in Louisville to our last year club season at KIVA coming in 3rd place in AAU National’s to even winning the grade school CSAA City Championship at St. Edward 7/8thA this season.