On a weekly basis, Louisville Women Sports post the KIVA “12 Questions” feature that highlights a volleyball student-athlete in the community. If there is a specific athlete that you’d like to know more about, email future suggestions to email@example.com
For 25 years KIVA has been home to volleyball players in the Louisville community. From club level training to Volleytots, we offer programs for all ages and levels. KIVA invites you to visit them at www.kivasports.net! Where champions come to train.
Name: Tess Schrenger
Current School: Sacred Heart Academy
Club Team: KIVA 15 Red
1. What got you started playing volleyball? I started playing volleyball at my grade school. All of my friends had been playing and they talked me into joining the team.
2. What’s your favorite aspect of the game? My favorite aspect of the game is how intense and competitive every point is. There is so much going on in every play and every player is involved and has a role
3. What is your favorite meal? I love Panera Mac-N-Cheese and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches!
4.Who is your favorite player? Why? My favorite player is Kerri Walsh because she is an amazing athlete, works so hard, and is a great spokesperson for the sport.
5. What was the best coaching tip or advice you received to improve your game? The best advice that I have been given is to play every point like it is match point. No matter the score, always play with intensity and drive.
6. The most fun drill for you at practice is…? Why? My favorite drill is queen of the court. Although it’s a competitive drill that you are trying to win, everyone is having fun and making crazy trick shots
7. If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be? If I could go anywhere in the world It would be to Bora-Bora because they have pink sand beaches and you can swim with dolphins.
8. Do you prefer playing offense or defense? Why? I love both offense and defense. Offensive players usually get all the credit with their kills, but it is the defense that sets up the point. These positions require very different skills, but I really do enjoy both.
9. If you could have a training session with one player or coach, who would it be and why? I would love to have a training session with John Cook, the head coach of Nebraska. His team always looks so focused and positive. I would really like to see how he motivates his players and gets the best out of them.
10. I love volleyball because…? I love volleyball because of how intense and fast paced the sport is. It also has given me many close friendships over the years.
11. If you could be an animal what would it be and why? If I could be any animal I would choose to be be a cat because I love to take naps.
12. What is your favorite experience/ moment playing volleyball? My most memorable moment was this past high school season when we beat Mercy Academy in a very close 5 set match. This was my first big home game. The gym was packed and the crowd went wild with every point we scored. I still remember the amazing feeling of winning that last point!