On a weekly basis, Louisville Women Sports post the KIVA “12 Questions” feature that highlights a volleyball student-athlete in the community. If there is a specific athlete that you’d like to know more about, email future suggestions to email@example.com
For 25 years KIVA has been home to volleyball players in the Louisville community. From club level training to Volleytots, we offer programs for all ages and levels. KIVA invites you to visit them at www.kivasports.net! Where champions come to train.
Name: Laura McCulloch
Team that you Coach: Kiva 13 white, DuPont Manual High School
- What got you started coaching volleyball? I coached my son in grade school and then started coaching girls. I played in high school and my parents also played so I grew up around the game.
- What’s your favorite aspect of the game? The team concept, everyone has to work together for the same goal and I love helping young ladies become leaders on and off the court.
- What is your favorite meal? Chick Fil A or Qdoba
- Who is your favorite player? Why? I have coached a lot of great kids so it wouldn’t be fair to name a favorite. Every player that gives full effort, has a great attitude and work ethic will always be my favorite player.
- What was the best coaching tip or advice you received or gave to/ from a player?
I work hard on teaching players to bounce back quickly after mistakes. Some advice I give them is to turn that “uh oh” mistake into a “so what” and move on. We all make mistakes but getting over the mistake determines who scores the next point. Don’t be the opponent’s best player, be ours.
- The most fun drill for you at practice is…? Why? The most fun drill is out of system and rotate every time the ball goes over the net. Creates communication and everyone plays every position.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be? I would visit Hawaii
- Do you prefer coaching offense or defense? Why? I love coaching serve receive and defense. This is where the game starts and while I love the big kill, I love the dig on that kill even more!
- If you could have a training session with one player or coach, who would it be and why? I would spend a weekend with Anne Kordes. She ran a part of my practice once and her drills and energy were great. Her teams are successful and play high energy volleyball.
- I love volleyball because…? I love volleyball because … what’s not to love? It’s a high energy athletic team sport that has grown over the years. The players, parents, coaches I have met are great. I can’t imagine not coaching this sport.
- If you could be an animal what would it be and why? I would be a dog. Dogs are loyal and love people. Every day is a good day.
- What is your favorite experience/ moment coaching volleyball? I have several favorite moments coaching. One is when we came back from being down 11-3 third set and won to earn an AAU bronze, when my St. Nicholas team and St Patrick teams won the first CSAA City Championship in their divisions for their schools and winning the AAU National Championship last year.