On a weekly basis, Louisville Women Sports post the KIVA “12 Questions” feature that highlights a volleyball student-athlete in the community. If there is a specific athlete that you’d like to know more about, email future suggestions to email@example.com
For 25 years KIVA has been home to volleyball players in the Louisville community. From club level training to Volleytots, we offer programs for all ages and levels. KIVA invites you to visit them at www.kivasports.net! Where champions come to train.
Name: Alyssa Burke
Grade: Freshman/incoming sophomore
Current School: Sacred Heart Academy
Club Team: KIVA 15 White
- What got you started playing volleyball? When I was younger I had always been around volleyball because my dad was a coach and my sister played. So one day, when I decided to go with my parents to watch her play, I fell in love. Even though I wasn’t getting to play, just watching the sport started my love for the game.
- What’s your favorite aspect of the game? My favorite aspect of the game is the competitiveness. No matter who I’m playing or how good they are, I can make every game competitive in my own way.
- What is your favorite meal? My favorite meal is chicken nuggets with fruit or French fries, depending on my mood.
- Who is your favorite player? Why? My favorite player is Caitlin Welch. Even though she doesn’t play anymore, when she did play, she always had an amazing drive to be the best and get better, and I will always look up to her.
- What was the best coaching tip or advice you received to improve your game? The best advice I have received from a coach was when my 13’s coach, Laura McCulloch, gave me a book about how to play with confidence. I read something about how you need to play to win instead of playing not to lose and that has stuck with me through my entire experience playing volleyball.
- The most fun drill for you at practice is…? Why? The most fun drill at practice, to me, is servers vs. passers because it’s so competitive and there is constantly communication which makes it even more fun.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be? If I could visit any place in the world, I would go to Greece because the water is so blue and it has the perfect weather.
- Do you prefer playing offense or defense? Why? I prefer playing defense because I get excited every time I get to dig a hit from the other team and it always keeps me on my toes.
- If you could have a training session with one player or coach, who would it be and why? If I could have a playing session with any player or coach I would have it be with Caitlin Welch because I have always looked up to her since I was young and she is such a good role model.
- I love volleyball because…? I love volleyball because it has shaped me to be the person I am today, it has given me the confidence to believe that I can pursue whatever I want, and without volleyball I would not have met any of my best friends.
- If you could be an animal what would it be and why? If I could be any animal I would be a bird because I would get to fly to as many different places I want whenever I want.
- What is your favorite experience/ moment playing volleyball? My favorite moment playing volleyball was when my team came back from a major point deficit to win the gold championship at JVA’s this year. This showed my team and I how much fight we had and that we can come back from anything if we put our hearts in it.